February 16, 2011

Cupcakes From Scratch



I have never made cupcakes from scratch, until Pudge's birthday. They were so easy and simple to make, that I had to share the recipe on my blog. I got the recipe from a cookbook that I got when my husband and I got married. It's titled, Betty Crocker's Cookbook, Bridal Edition.

Marble Cupcakes

2 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter
1 1/4 c. milk
3 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
3 large eggs

3 Tbsp. baking cocoa
1/8 tsp. baking soda

1.) Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease cupcake pans, or use cupcake liners.
2.) Beat all ingredients, except cocoa and baking soda, with an electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on high seed 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
3.) Before pouring batter into pans, remove 1 3/4 cups of the batter; reserve. Pour remaining batter into pans. Stir 3 Tbsp. cocoa and 1/8 tsp. baking soda into reserved batter. Drop chocolate batter by tablespoonsfuls randomly onto yellow batter. Cut through batters with knife for marbled design. Bake and cool.


Of course, I had my two helpers in tow. Here they are mixing the vanilla and chocolate batter to make marble cupcakes.


Pudge loved the batter, as you can see. He wouldn't stop licking his fingers, so I gave him the spatula.


The final results were shown here at the party. My husband, my sister, and I did try them before we frosted them...just to make sure they were tasty, and they were! My husband, who doesn't eat cake, had 2 of them!!

Great way to save a little money instead of buying a store-bought cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment