April 22, 2010

Garden Update

Well, our garden is officially underway! Yea! I can't tell you how much of a burden is lifted off of my shoulders knowing that our plants will make it! I want to give a great big shout out to my husband who finished pulling up the rocks this past week. He had some great techniques in getting all those rocks out from under the dirt.

Here are some photos to see what we've been up to in our garden.

As you can see, our boys LOVED the fact that they had a new place to play in. They promptly brought over every digger, excavator, train, and truck that they could find to bury them in the dirt! What fun! Meanwhile, mom and dad are hard at work getting those rocks out of the garden.



This picture was taken a couple weeks ago. As you can see, the boys are still playing!


Here my husband is trying to figure out if we have enough dirt to fill in the garden. We thought we could scrounge up some free dirt somewhere, but we eventually caved in and bought some dirt. Last week, Meijer had a great deal on a 40 lb. bag of topsoil for only $1.16! So we got 10 bags!!

Freshly laid topsoil! Doesn't it look good enough to eat??

While my husband was working on the garden, the boys and I worked on transplanting our seedlings to bigger pots for the time being. Lots of Cherry Tomato plants and Green Peppers!

And a couple of Green Bean plants! Check out this one we started from seed! It's already got a couple beans on it!! Yea!!


Pictured below is a section of our yard that we decided to plant Peas in. I think they will grow great right there by the fence where they can climb all they want! Our boys LOVE peas, so they will be so excited when they start to sprout.


Here is Z-man and I taking time out for a quick photo:

See if you can find the Pumpkin plant among all my perennials?


Here are some more Cherry Tomatoes in our actual garden! And you probably can't see the green onions at the top right, but they're there! I've never grown them before, so we'll see how they grow.
Also, we have some zuchinni and another pumpkin plant growing.
So, here it is folks! Feel free to stop by whenever in the summer time for some cherry tomatoes! We're sure to have alot!


3 comments:

  1. I have to say I am a little jealous! I wanted a garden this year so bad but I think it is getting too late and my husband doesn't really want one. So we just did a few small things in pots - tomatoes (actually, we bought a hanging planter for that), spicy peppers, red bell peppers and strawberries. We aren't doing a lot but it's more than I did last year and I am hoping at least some of it turns out good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read your blog a few times and think it is great! (I'm a member of MAM and saw it from one of your emails.) Anyways, if you need compost/topsoil for your garden, check out the Landscape Recycling Center in Urbana. We purchased a 7 gallon bucket of garden compost for $10, with unlimited refills until the end of the year. Its a great deal! We have two raised garden beds - so much fun for the kids! Happy Gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete