July 27, 2010

Trash to Treasure


Sometimes I cannot believe what I find in people's trash. I feel awful having people throw away perfectly good things. Take this for example, I found this outdoor rug that someone was going to have the garbage men haul away, so I saved it, and am selling it on Craigslist as I type.

It's in perfect condition too!
Another example of how people are just throwing good things into the landfill is this nice cookie jar:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I think people just don't want to have to bother to take things to Goodwill, and just toss it. That's a shame. There were even wrapped up Biscotti's in the jar!! (no, we did not eat them!)

This same people who were tossing their cookie jar was also tossing 4 huge tomato cages! Which is a blessing in disguise, because I have been on the lookout for some free ones for our garden. Woo-Hoo!

I can't help but think, "why not have a garage sale, and save all those things that you're tossing, and make some money off of it?" Here's what we found at garage sales this weekend for under $3. The garden hose was only $1, the basketball net you hang from a door was $0.25, the garbage can was $0.50, and the pots were $1.


Another thought, why buy full grown plants when you can buy a whole packet of seed for under $1? Here's what we picked up at the local Dollar General. I love to watch things grow, so I was so excited to see that they had all their seeds 50% off. We're planning on growing a second crop of peas when the weather cools off a bit. My boys love growing peas in our backyard!


So thanks for reading some of my thoughts about people tossing out perfectly good trash that turns into my treasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment